3 years ago, we visited a remote mountain location in Northern Sweden for the first time to target pike on the fly.
The plan was to make a really cool pike film with meter-long fish slamming mice and lemming patterns on the surface. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen because the water was already too warm by that time and most of the fish had moved out of the shallow coves.
So, fast forward and we decided to try again later on during the first week of the open season. During spring I had developed a pattern based on the new Surface Seducer Howitzer baitfish popper heads that was more of a subsurface pattern with 2 hooks, a Fish-Skull Articulated Shank, and a big Dragon Tail at the end. I wanted a pattern that would work well both when fished roly poly as well as with strong pulls.
The helicopter brought us out the Tjuonajokk fishing camp, located way above the Arctic Circle.
The plan this time was to drive with the river boats through the rapids upstream to a big cove were the pike had spawned a few weeks before and were still hanging around waiting for whitefish and grayling to come in and feed in these shallow areas.
We took turns poling the boat forward and with only one of us fishing at a time so our cameraman could catch every single take in slow motion. How did it turn out? See for yourself.
Howitzer Topwater Pike Popper Fly Tying Video
If you liked this fly featured in the Topwater Mamas video, give it a try yourself!
- Hook: Partridge Predator CS86 X 4/0 in the front and Partridge Attitude Extra 1/0 in the back.
- Glue: Zap brush on, Devcon Epoxy 5 min
- Thread: Textreme Power thread 100D
- Connection: Partridge 49 strand pike wire 40 pound. Fish-Skull Articulated Shank 20 mm, One 6 mm articulated bead your color choice
- Connection for wiggle tail: Partridge 49 strand pike wire 20 pound, Fastach size 0, one 2 mm bead
- Head: Surface Seducer Howitzer Baitfish Popper Head, Large, Yellow Chartreuse
- Eyes: Epoxy eyes 5, 5 mm Fl. Red
- Tail: Dragon Tail large Fl. Yellow or Wave tail XXL Fl. Chartreuse
- Body: Extra Select Craft fur in Fl. Yellow and Fl. Orange, Polar Reflector Flash in Yellow and Hot Orange, Ripple Ice Fiber Shrimp Pink and Electric Ripple Ice Fiber Fl. Orange
Will you tie this fly? Where would you use it? We'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments!
Want More Content Like This?
Join the Flymen Mailing List at the Bottom of the Page!
About Niklaus Bauer: