Learn to Tie This Next-Generation Squid Fly Pattern
Giovanni mostly targets dorado with his Squid fly pattern, but says that most small- to medium-size pelagic fish are going to gravitate toward this fly. He recommends fishing it on an intermediate line.
I discovered this fly pattern on the Flymen Fishing Co. Instagram feed while looking to see what fly tyers all over the world have done to use Flymen fly tying materials in creative ways. One of the first (and coolest) flies I saw was Giovanni De Pace's (@giannidepace) Squid. This is a slightly modified Flymen version of Giovanni's Squid, I think you'll like it!
- Hook: Kona Xtra Strong Stinger (XSS) 1/0
- Laser Dub (to help spread the materials)
- Underbody: Senyo's Aqua Veil Chenille
- Body: Ostrich Herl
- Body: Fish-Skull Faux Bucktail
- Body: Polar Flash
- Tentacles: Loco Legs
- Body: Rhea Feathers
- Tentacles: Saddle Hackle
- Head: Fish-Skull Fish-Mask, #7
- Eyes: Surface Seducer Dragon Eyes, 7 mm
- Loon Thick
- Loon Phosphorescent Powder
- Mantle: Fish-Skull Chocklett's Body Tubing, 1/4"
- Fins: X-Select Marabou