Surface Seducer® Double Barrel™ popper & slider body
Tie next-generation foam poppers, sliders, and divers.
Design by Martin Bawden.
The Double Barrel is an innovative, modern, soft-foam popper body that makes it easy to tie the most popular popper, slider, and diver flies being used today to target various species from panfish to sailfish!
It has several unique design advantages over other popper bodies and is available in a comprehensive range of sizes and colors, allowing you to tie a full spectrum of flies.
The versatile foam head can be tied on with the cup facing forward to create popper flies, and can be tied on in reverse to create slider, diver, and Sneaky Pete style foam flies.
Deeper cup The innovative Double Barrel design creates a deeper than normal front cup for a louder pop when working your fly! When reversed, it offers a nice recess to bury the body materials of your slider or Sneaky Pete.
Extended top lip The aggressive top lip of the popper head helps concentrate a bigger “splash” further forwards.
Tail socket The back of the popper has a recess hole that allows for embedding tailing materials or the rear loop of an articulated shank into the popper.
Popper “skin” The Double Barrel is manufactured through an innovative process that creates a smooth, strong outer skin on the popper body. This outer skin is durable and has a naturally smoother, nicer looking finish, which means at the most basic level, there's no need to paint, decorate, or clear coat your popper. You can simply mount the body onto a Popper Hook, add Dragon Eyes and some feathers for a tail, then go fishing!
Full size range The comprehensive range of five sizes allow you to create the full spectrum of popper styles being used today to target various species from panfish to sailfish!
• Extra-small: Perfect for tying small panfish and carp flies.
• Small & Medium: Great for tying typical “bass bug” poppers.
• Large & Extra-large: Ideal for tying large saltwater and freshwater predator flies target big game species such as pike, musky, stripers, redfish, and sailfish.
Bright, vibrant colors White, yellow chartreuse, green chartreuse, black, orange and blue.
Extra-small Length 13mm x Width 10mm x Height 8mm
Small Length 16mm x Width 13mm x Height 10mm
Medium Length 21mm x Width 17mm x Height 13mm
Large Length 27mm x Width 20mm x Height 18mm
Extra-large Length 33mm x Width 27mm x Height 26mm
Mounting the Double Barrel on a hook or Articulated Shank Step 1
Select a bodkin or heated needle of roughly the same diameter as the hook or shank.
Insert your bodkin from the tail socket and slowly push it through the foam body until it comes out the cup. Make sure it comes out in the correct position, which is slightly above and just past the bottom lip.
Put the hook or Articulated Shank in your fly tying vise and cover the shank with thick, coarse thread wraps in a crisscross fashion. This is important for gripping the foam inside the popper body to prevent twisting.
Put a liberal amount of clear-drying Super Glue Gel on the hook shank.
Slowly but firmly mount the foam fly body onto the hook. Position as desired and leave for a minute or two to dry. Take out of vise and repeat with your next foam fly body and hook.
Note: Although it is Super Glue, it is suggested to leave your mounted hooks for an hour or two before working further on them. It sometimes takes time inside the foam for the glue to set properly.
Painting & decoration The smooth, strong, and shiny outer "popper skin" on the Double Barrel gives you several options for decorating your popper. There are various methods and techniques to customize your poppers and a wide range of materials available, such as paints, air-brush kits, clear coats, and markers. You can make anything you want, from a quick, basic popper to much more complex works of art. It’s up to you!
There are different approaches you can take based on your needs in terms of time and the degree of difficulty:
• Basic: If you wish to keep it quick and simple and go fishing, tie your popper without clear coating or painting the body. The Double Barrel’s smooth outer skin and vibrant colors give your popper a bright, finished look. • Clear coat: Cover the Double Barrel body in a clear coat to increase the durability of your popper and make the bright, vibrant colors really pop! Various clear coats could be used with the most popular typically being Epoxy (30-minute) water-based urethane adhesives such as Liquid Fusion, Sally Hansen’s Hard-As-Nails, or the newer UV light-curing resins such as Loon Outdoors UV Clear Fly Finish. • Decorate & clear coat: Add spots, stripes, scales or shades of color to the unpainted popper body with a permanent marker or paintbrush, or create more complex painted patterns with an airbrush system. Then add a clear coat to protect your artwork during fishing. • Paint, decorate & clear coat: This is the most time-consuming approach, but the reward for your efforts is a beautiful and durable fly. Mount the Double Barrel on the hook, then paint it with a primer followed by several layers of paint to create a great canvas on which to decorate your body and finally finish it off with a nice clear coat.
Q: What kind of foam is the Double Barrel made of, and is it hard or soft foam? A: The Double Barrel is made of an extremely durable soft foam (EVA Closed-Cell Foam).
Q: What types and sizes of fly tying eyes are compatible with the Double Barrel? A: We have designed the Surface Seducer® Dragon Eyes™ to fit the Double Barrel, but virtually any type of 3D Eyes on the market, including Fish-Skull® Living Eyes™, can be used to create great looking flies!
The Double Barrel's eye size compatibility is as follows:
• Extra-small Double Barrel: 3 mm eyes. • Small Double Barrel: 3 mm eyes. • Medium Double Barrel: 4 mm eyes. • Large Double Barrel: 6 mm eyes • Extra-large Double Barrel: 8.5 mm eyes.
• Extra-small Double Barrel: #8 hooks. • Small Double Barrel: #6 hooks. • Medium Double Barrel:#2 hooks. • Large Double Barrel:2/0 to 4/0 wide gap, streamer hook or use a 28 mm Fish-Skull Big Game Shanks with a trailing hook. • Extra-large Double Barrel: 5/0 to 6/0 wide gap, streamer hook or use a 40 mm Fish-Skull Big Game Shanks with a trailing hook.
Tip: When tying an articulated streamer using a Fish-Skull® Chocklett’s Big Game Shank (or as a Tube fly), both methods allow you to use the hook of your choice. We suggest using a short-shank hook to reduce the leverage a hooked fish can exert and you may wish to use a small split ring to connect the articulated shank to the hook. This allows you to easily change out the hook (and tail of the fly) to adjust to different fishing situations and also extend the life of the popper.
Bright, bold, & buggy Trigger aggressive strikes from gamefish.
Versatile Imitate a variety of amphibians, reptiles, baitfish, rodents, and other creatures fish love to eat!
Finishing touch Take your fly to the next level with these vibrant, impressionistic fly tying eyes. Surface Seducer Dragon Eyes are specifically designed to fit and match the full range of Surface Seducer foam products.
To ensure your Dragon Eyes are firmly secured in place there are a number of techniques you can use:
1. If you choose to cover your popper body with a hard clear coat (such as epoxy or Hard-as-Nails), simply position the Dragon Eyes in the eye socket and the clear coat will seal the eyes deep inside the finished popper.
2. If not adding a clear coat, simply use a water resistant super glue or UV light-hardening epoxy to stick the eyes securely in place.
Q: Which size Dragon Eyes fit which size Double Barrel popper bodies? A: The Double Barrel's eye size compatibility is as follows:
Tie poppers, sliders, gurglers, divers, and other foam flies to target species such as bass and panfish.
Surface Seducer® Popper Hooks are quality, specialist hooks sized to match the new Double Barrel popper body range, but are versatile and standardized so you can use them with other foam bodies and products available on the market.
Kink-shank Strengthens fly by reducing twisting inside the foam fly body.
Wide hook gap Optimizes hook-up rates by creating the needed separation from the fly's body.
Chemically sharpened micro barb Allows for swift and sturdy hook sets.